Friday 1 November 2013

Unapologetic immigrant

You always ask me. 'Where are you from'?
I say oh ' Skipton' but you say No. Where are you from 'originally'.
My thought process when you ask me that question is ' Here we go again'. What follows after my long winded awkward explanation about my heritage ' Oh so why did you move here'?
Why do you think I moved here?  

For some reason this world believes the 1st world is the land of opportunity and bright futures.
Meanwhile African and Africans have no faith in their own systems. Forever looking at distant lands other than our own for our bright futures. It's a sad reality. We don't have faith in our selves and the rest of the world sees us a a continent of beggars, rife with corruption , disease and hunger! 

You might get mad  at me but you know it's true!
Instead of improving our homelands we think about the I. Inequalities grow bigger. 'Developments happen' but the corruption and dishonesty of the immoral systems in place  make us passive beings who look for our bright futures, big money and the likes in other lands. No one wants to be the first one to build Africa up. 

Sometimes I ask myself how can the richest continent be so poor and broken?

I am an unapologetic immigrant. At first I used to feel inferior faced with the question ' Why did you move here?'. Alot of my time spent explaining that my parents got a job so we had to move. I find it rude and disrespectful that people feel a sense of entitlement to quiz people about why they move. Don''t you watch the new? Duh. Look at the Africa you see on the BBCs and the  ITVs! If you were an immigrant faced with the chance of a 'better life' wouldn't you move?

Don't get me wrong my Africa is beautiful. It is just plagued by a disease called greed and entitlement for work not done. 

Are people not entitled to move these days? can't a person seek a better life. You expect immigrants to sympathise with you. Welcome to the reality of this world. People move to obtain an elusive sense of a better life. To live in countries where they are hated and killed. Mistreated and disrespected! All for an opportunity at improving their life. It is in our human psyche to seek better opportunities for ourselves. 

What do you think mate! I want a bright future too. I want to be taken seriously and to have more 'opportunities'. This is what I have been fed. Hurl your go back to your countries. Hurl your racist slurs. I will still be here. Didn't you know we live in a globalised world?! Was it not your country that 'discovered us' as savages who were uncivilized and didn't know any better. Now you have the ideal life and won't share the pie.


Everyone wants to have a good life. That is why we leave our homes, the sunshine, good food , family and friends to seek this elusive 'better life'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read my work. I love hearing from you guys so please feel free to leave a comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lovely Followers